ONDUVILLA fills an identified need in the roofing market. In 2011 we conducted a large research project on roofing options for U.S. homeowners. We spoke with hundreds of homeowners and contractors about the roofing market, and both sides said the same thing—only two options exist: low-cost asphalt shingles that you see on most homes or the much more expensive slate or tile.
Here are some of the findings from our research:
- 89% of homes have an asphalt shingle roof.
- 5% of homes have a slate roof.
- 1% of homes have a ceramic tile roof.
- 80% of reroof installations are with asphalt shingles.
- 94% of homeowners rated “cost-effective products” as one of the most important characteristics of roofing materials, which is why they frequently settle on asphalt shingles.
- 88% of homeowners rated “cost-effective installation” as one of the most important characteristics of roofing materials, which is why they rarely choose slate or tile.
Or, as one homeowner put it, “You can go with ‘the standard’ [asphalt shingles] or you can go really high-end. There is nothing in-between.”
The data supports our observation that most homeowners choose asphalt shingles based on cost, not aesthetics. A small percentage of homeowners accept the much higher cost that goes with slate or tile because they want a distinctive and attractive look for their roof. We saw an opportunity to introduce a new roofing material that delivers a distinctive and attractive appearance at a price that is similar to premium asphalt shingles, and that material is ONDUVILLA.
Our research also showed both homeowners and contractors had three distinct features in mind for a potential new roofing alternative—innovative, affordable and attractive. ONDUVILLA offers all three benefits. If you’re in the market for a new roof, we hope you’ll consider ONDUVILLA for your home.